Patients with sciatica experience varying degrees of pain and numbness radiating from the lower back to one of the legs. Thankfully, if you have sciatica pain, chiropractic care can help you manage symptoms to enable you to live your life to the fullest. At Allied Chiropractic, Sports Rehab & Whole Health Center, we have the experience and technology to manage sciatica pain from worsening over time.
Symptoms of Sciatica
It’s vital to keep your eyes peeled for the early symptoms of sciatica to seek treatment immediately. The earlier you seek treatment, the higher the chances of recovery. While the telltale symptom of sciatica is pain that travels from the lower back to the back of one of your legs, you should pay attention to other sciatica symptoms. These include:
- A sensation of pins or needles
- Pain that worsens when you stand, cough, or walk
- Dull ache
- Leg pain
- Burning sensation
Sciatica patients receive varying degrees of pain and discomfort. The frequency of the pain also varies. Whatever your symptoms are, always book an appointment with a chiropractor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Causes of Sciatica
Generally, sciatica pain occurs when the sciatic nerve is damaged or irritated. Disc herniation, misaligned joints, spinal tumors, and severe constipation can irritate the sciatic nerve. Common injuries like falls and slips can trigger sciatica pain. Also, when the piriformis muscle is compressed, you can experience sciatica pain.
While anyone can experience sciatica pain, some people are at more risk of sciatica than others. The following factors are likely to increase the likelihood of sciatica:
- Obesity — unhealthy weight causes the spinal structures to irritate the spinal nerves, causing lower back pain
- Pregnancy — weight gain and other changes during pregnancy can trigger sciatica pain
- Occupation — if your job involves lifting objects, sitting for long periods, or twisting, this can trigger sciatica pain
- Diabetes — this condition triggers damage to nerves, including the sciatic nerve
- Age — the older you are, the more the likelihood of sciatica
If you are at risk of sciatica pain, you need to pay attention to the telltale symptoms to seek treatment at an early stage.
Chiropractic Care for Sciatica
If you have been diagnosed with sciatica pain, you don’t have to use medication or undergo surgery. Chiropractors can treat sciatica using natural remedies. Here are treatments we use to manage sciatica pain:
- Spinal manipulation to reposition misaligned joints
- Massage therapy to soothe away sciatica pain
- Stretching exercises to manage pain and strengthen your back muscles
- Lifestyle counseling to help you manage triggers that put you at risk of sciatica
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Sciatica Treatment in Plainville, MA
Is sciatica pain stealing your joy in Plainville, MA? Your painful days are about to come to an end. Please schedule an appointment with Allied Chiropractic, Sports Rehab and Whole Health Center by calling (508) 455-4600.